Shift

Shift
Tobias and Oliver Story

Oliver's body lay crooked against the barn's battered wooden walls. His arms pulled and hung above his head. He looked down as his body through tired and exhausted eyes. His ankle was bent and twisted, part of the bone poked through as tears ran down his face and landed on his swollen belly. Worry and concern about his child were not the only things on his mind. Silently a figure approached him and kneeled down in front of him, lifting his chin up to look him in the eyes. "Oh don't cry... it'll all be over soon. Dear boy, you just need to answer some questions." A familiar voice tauntingly spoke to him. Oliver couldn't see who it was, his face was swollen and eyes filled with dirt and tears. The man slid a bowl of water next to him and pulled a cloth out of his pocket. "Let's clean you up. Hopefully, I won't have to bloody you up again." The man said patting Oliver on the head with a smile, before undressing him. He didn't struggle, not this time as he was too tired to fight back. He was hungry too, his child was draining every ounce of strength and will from him. The man pulled back from Oliver looking at his ankle and then back at the half-naked body in front of him. "Will you let me help you?" Oliver just stared at his belly, almost unresponsive. The man unbent and positioned Oliver's legs more comfortably and quickly reset the bone in his ankle. He looked up at Oliver, who continued to remain quiet. He took a deep breath and began to bandage the ankle after cleaning it. "Why did you do this to me? why am I here?" Oliver finally cried still refusing to make eye contact. The man leaned back against the wall next to Oliver and sighed. Then unchained Oliver's hands from above him. "You really are hard to stay mad at, aren't you? You're carrying my child Oliver, I know you are. You ran away... from me and our life and responsibilities. Do you really not recognize me? Do you really not remember our love?" Oliver looked up as the man, now had a face and a name... Tobias wiped the tears from Oliver's face again before pulling him close. "Oliver, I may have been rough, and I may have hurt you. But I wasn't going to kill you, or our child. I just... needed to get through to you. Make you see and understand but I see this wasn't the right way." Tobias pulled Oliver into his lap and placed his hand on Olivers, whos were protectively holding his belly. Oliver relaxed into the larger and more aggressive Vampire. "I'm sorry. I was..." he stopped hesitating on the right word. "Scared?" Tobias finished his sentence. Tobias picked Oliver up and carried him to a clean horse stall and lay with him in the pile of hay. Oliver reached his hand up and stroked the side of Tobias's face but quickly went limp. He was dying... the lack of a meal and stress of the assault had taken its toll. Tobias began to panic, holding Oliver's body closer to him. "Take our child... Make sure they have a better life." Oliver whispered before fainting and going limp in Tobias's arms once more. He lifted Oliver up once more and moved him to an open area in the barn before removing the panties he had left on him for respect. The baby was crowning, threatening Oliver's life further. Tobias leaned over Oliver limp form and kissed him before setting to save their child. After an hour Tobias freed the child from Oliver's womb, but at the cost of Oliver's life. He held their newborn screaming daughter against his chest as he stared down and cried over his partner and lover's body. A year had passed before Tobias returned to the farm. But this time he brought their daughter, Annabelle. He didn't want her to grow up not knowing the sacrifice of her other parent. Maybe she was too young, but Tobias held her in his lap as they sat in front of a small gravestone on a hill away from the barn she was born. "Your... mother died bringing you into the world. He loved you, more than anyone else in the world. You will always be very special." Tobias said quietly before looking up to the setting sun. "I'm sorry, Oliver. You'll always be my little bit of sunshine. I love you." He mumbled before picking up Annabelle. "We'll come back and visit often. I promise." He left an orchid on the shifted earth before leaving into the fading sunset.

Comments